Microsoft Office is one of the most widely used cross-platform application suites for productivity. Office 2021 is the latest Office suite from Microsoft. If you have already installed it on your computer, you may want to delete it.
Not that anything is wrong with the suite, but you may need to delete it because you are switching your PC, or may want to free up the license key so it can be used on another PC, or simply because you do not use it anymore.
This article illustrates 3 ways you can uninstall Microsoft Office 2021 from your PC.
Table of contents
How to Uninstall Microsoft Office 2021
Through the Settings App
One way to uninstall Microsoft Office 2021 is through the Settings app on Windows. Both Windows 11 and Windows 10 come with this built-in app, which has (almost) replaced the legacy Control Panel. Follow the steps below to do so:
- Navigate to the following:
Settings app >> Apps >> Apps & features
- Here, search for “Microsoft Office” from the text field under App list.
- Now click on the ellipses (3 dots) in front of “Microsoft Office (edition) 2021” and then click Uninstall.
- Now click Uninstall again from the confirmation box.
Microsoft Office will now uninstall. Once done, we suggest you restart your computer so all components are safely removed, although it is not necessary.
Through Control Panel
Another method to remove Office 2021 is through the Add or change a program in the Control Panel. Here is how:
- Open the “Uninstall or change a program” window by typing in appwiz.cpl in Run.
- Now right-click on Microsoft Office 2021 (whichever you wish to uninstall) and then click Uninstall.
- If prompted with a UAC, click Yes.
- From the pop-up Office window, click Uninstall.
Microsoft Office will now begin uninstalling from your PC.
Using Office Uninstall Support Tool
Microsoft offers a tool known as Support and Recovery Assistant which aids in troubleshooting Windows components that the built-in troubleshooter cannot. Microsoft also offers a small component of this tool, known as the “Office Uninstall Tool,” which, as the name suggests, is used to uninstall Microsoft Office.
Follow the steps below to install this helpful utility and then uninstall Microsoft Office 2021:
- Download Office Uninstall Tool by clicking on the link.
- Run the .exe file to install the tool. From the installation wizard, click Install.
- Now click I agree from the next screen.
- The tool will now open. From the Office Uninstall Tool, select the Office version by checking the box next to it, and then click Next.
- You will now be asked to confirm your action. Check the box you see in the tool and click Next.
- The tool will then begin removing Microsoft Office, and may take a few minutes. Once done, click Restart and reboot your PC.
- You will now be prompted that you are about to be signed out. Click Close.
Once your PC reboots, you will see that Office 2021 has been removed from your PC. The Office Uninstall Tool will automatically relaunch and will ask if you want to download another Office version. At this point, you are free to close the tool as the task is already accomplished.
Since uninstalling individual applications like Word, Excel, etc. is not an option, one needs to remove the entire suite from a PC. Microsoft Office 2021 can be uninstalled using any of the methods given above. However, if you have a valid license, you can re-install it on the same PC or another using this guide.
If you are annoyed by a particular Office update and want to remove it and then reinstall the suite, make sure to turn off automatic updates this time.
- How to download and install Microsoft Office language packs
- How to Download, Install & Activate Microsoft Office 2021
- 5 Ways to Disable Microsoft Office 2021 Automatic Updates
- Translate Microsoft Office Documents In Any Language [Word, Excel, PowerPoint]
- Microsoft Office 2021 Release Date, Pricing And Everything You Need To Know