After the May 2018 update to Windows 10, most of the users who use Remote Desktop function are facing RDP authentication error, function requested is not supported issue where they get the following error while logging in to a remote computer via RDP.
An authentication error has occurred.
The function requested is not supported
Remove computer: [computername]
This could be due to CredSSP encryption oracle remediation.
For more information, see https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=866660
This is due to a recent vulnerability fixed in Windows 10 and Windows 7. After installing the latest update KB4103727 for Windows 10 Version 1709 and KB4103718 for Windows 7, you will start getting this error.
4 solutions to RDP Authentication Error Function Requested Is Not Supported
Let’s go through some resolutions to this problem.
Solution 1: Install updates on the target computer
The first and the most recommended solution to this issue is to update the target computer on which you are trying to connect remotely. Go to Windows Update and check for updates. Install all the updates specifically related to CVE-2018-0886.
Specifically, if the target computer is running Windows Server 2016, you should install KB4103723 and if you are using Windows Server 2012 R2, then you should install KB4103725.
A server reboot will be required after installing these updates.
If you do not want to update the computer or it’s not in your access then you can try the other solutions listed below.
Solution 2: Using Group Policy
- Go to Run –> gpedit.msc to open Group Policy Editor.
- Go to the following policy path:
Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> System -> Credentials Delegation
- From the right-hand pane, open Encryption Oracle Remediation.
- Select Enabled and set the protection level to Vulnerable.
- Go to command prompt and run the following command:
This will apply the group policy immediately and you will be able to use Remote Desktop without restarting the computer.
Solution 3: Using Registry Editor
The same thing can be achieved through Windows Registry. Here are the steps:
- Go to Run –> regedit to open Registry Editor.
- Go to the following key:
- In the right-hand pane, edit the DWORD value of AllowEncryptionOracle key to 2.
- If you can’t find the key, you will need to create it. Otherwise, you can download the following registry file, double-click to run it and it will automatically create the key and set it for you.
CredSSP Parameters Registry (364 bytes, 8,199 hits)
Solution 4: Uninstall updates from your computer
Another workaround is to uninstall the updates from your computer. If you are using Windows 10 Version 1709, you should uninstall the update KB4103727 and KB4103718 if you’re running Windows 7. Uninstalling these updates requires the computer to be restarted.
Although you can use any of the above mentioned methods to resolve this issue of RDP Authentication Error Function Requested Is Not Supported but I recommend that you should either use Solution 1 or Solution 2 for the resolution. What are your thoughts about this?
Must Read Articles:
- How To Enable Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc) In Windows 10 Home Edition
- Easily Install Group Policy Editor (GPEdit.msc) In Windows 10 Home Edition
- Block Automatic Installation Of Internet Explorer 11 In Windows 7
- Best Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc) Alternative for Windows
- 2 Ways To Search A Specific Group Policy In Windows Group Policy Editor (GPEdit.msc)